Saturday 13 June 2009

Mothing at Stithians

We went on a Mothing night at Stithians Nature Reserve last night, which was arranged by the warden, Simon Taylor. We would like to say thanks for a really enjoyable evening.
Here are some of the Moths we saw, a few are not named simply because we can't I.D. them.
You may well notice that the Eyed Hawk-Moth has very little colour on it's wings and that is because in a moment of near hysteria, having felt something crawling up the inside of my trouser-leg I hit it several times (not knowing then what it was ) and by the time John rescued it the damage was done, It was still able to fly though.
I feel terrible that it was so obviously damaged but it was me or him. Sue







13 comments:

  1. Beautiful creatures of the night.
    I'm sure the Eyed Hawk-Moth will forgive you lol
    Great selection you got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how beautiful they are....

    www.riverwildlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realized how many colorful moths there are. These are beautiful. And I'm with you--anything crawling up my leg is going to be swatted and I would be in near hysteria mode also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew there were so many colourful moths.Great selection.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some really beautiful ones here John and Sue. Most people do not know how colourful moths can be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking collection you saw, only wish my garden trap was as successfull, nice pics too. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. if I had enough time I could easily get into moths, you did well by the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mothing night at the nature reserve sounds fascinating. Beautiful colors and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow lovely shots....so cool. I just wanted to let the both of you know that I have nominated your blog for an award when you have a moment please stop by and see.

    Crista

    ReplyDelete
  10. great collection - I love Hawk-moths in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely shots. Close encounters with humour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff really shows people what beautiful things moths are, but they seem a bit scarce in the garden this year,only had six in two nights trapping. Hope it gets better. Good to see the trap is working out John.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for your kind words.Mothing is growing on me,I'd recommend it to all.
    A great night out, also a special thank you to Simon Taylor for organizing the event.
    We had a great time.
    John.

    ReplyDelete